The Embassy of the Republic of Liberia
The Embassy of the Republic of Liberia in Washington, DC. is honored to be of assistance to you at this important juncture of our national existence, as we continue the process of ensuring sustainable peace and stability as well as economic growth and development throughout Liberia.
We hope that you can easily access detailed information about Liberia and the current travel requirements and regulations regarding our beautiful country.Here you will find general information about Liberia, facts about the Liberian history and commercial opportunities, news, announcements and press releases, consular and travel assistance, and contact information.
A Little Liberian Embassy History
The chancery was purchased by the Liberian Government in 1947. Initially, the 16th Street property was used as both the Ambassador’s residence and chancery during the tenure of the first Liberian Ambassador to the United States, H.E. Charles D.B. King. Ambassador King later purchased the property located at 5303 Colorado Avenue N.W. to serve as the Ambassador’s Residence. Subsequently, Ambassador George Padmore acquired the property at 3507 Fulton Street N.W. which currently serves as the Ambassador’s Residence.
H.E. Charles D. B. King served as Liberian Ambassador to the United States from 1947 to 1952. Ambassador Clarence Simpson served from 1952 to 1956, and was followed by H.E. George Padmore from 1956 to 1961. H. E. S. Edward Peal served from 1961 to 1976 and was succeeded by H.E. Francis Dennis from 1976 to 1979. H.E. Herbert Brewer completed the decade serving from 1979 to 1980.
In the period following the 1980 coup d’etat in Liberia, H.E. Joseph Guannu was the first to serve as Liberian Ambassador to the United States from 1980 to 1983. Ambassador Guannu was succeeded by H.E. George Toe Washington who served from 1983 to 1986. H.E. Eugenia Wordsworth Stevenson became Liberia’s first female envoy to the United States serving from 1986 to 1992. H.E. Rachel Gbenyon Diggs, the second woman to serve as Liberia’s Ambassador to the United States, is primarily credited with the restoration of the current Embassy building after it was destroyed by fire. She served from 1997 to 1998. The remaining fully accredited Ambassadors are: H. E. William V. S. Bull who served from 2000 to 2002, H.E. Charles A. Minor who served from 2004 to 2008, and the current Liberian envoy, H. E. Milton Nathaniel Barnes, who assumed the post of Ambassador to the United States in September 2008 having served previously as Ambassador and Permanent Representative at the United Nations in New York.
At various points in the history of Liberian-American relations, individuals were appointed to take charge of the Embassy between the formal appointments of ambassadors. This situation was apparent during the tenure of the various Transitional Governments of Liberia. Some of these individuals held on even when there was no internationally recognized government of Liberia. Liberians are indebted to these individuals, known as Charge d’Affairs, for their sacrifice and service. They are: Mr.Konah Blackett who served from 1992 to 1997, Mr. Gabriel Fernandez who served from 1998 to 1999, Mr. Alexander H.N. Wallace who served from 1999 to 2000, Mr. Aaron B. Kollie who served from 2002 to 2004, and H.E. Prince Porte who served as Ambassador Ad Hoc from January 2004 to March 2004.